Thursday, August 26, 2010

Taking a shot of the moon

Yesterday a colleague called me because he wanted to take shot of the moon in this clear night. I thought no problem and started giving him tips:

  • use aperture priority with a small aperture
  • put the ISO up to the max
  • use a tripod
  • take a self-timer-shot not to introduce vibrancy
  • keep your view-glass dark
and so on...

He is new to DSLR photography and therefore his had exploded because of the mass information. I told him that i will take the photo for and show him all the relevant things next day in the office.
So I headed out in the garden to take the shot and walk back in my house but the result was this:

f 5.6; 1/4 sec; ISO 1600

My first impression was - This is not what i would expect! I made a few shots that were even worse! I changed the aperture to 27 - and of course the shutter was open longer. I did another few shots changing everything possible on my 450D and the only result I got was this spooky kind of moon with violet space ships - of course it is only a lens flare :)

f 27; 3 sec; ISO 1600

I called my colleague and told him, that I don't believe, the camera is not made for this shots but I will keep a look on this topic. But standing there behind my tripod looking up to the moon I thought about the basics I've learned in D-Town TV. Suddenly it made boom like a bulp flashing over my head. My problem is a shutter that is too long open. The moon aka "the sun of the night" is to bright! I changed my camera to M(anual) mode and tried a shutter speed of 1/45 of a second with aperture 27 and surprisingly i got my first shot with textures of the moon. Playing around with the shutter speed I found that 1/350 of a second is the best...

f 27; 1/350sec, ISO1600
So i learned for myself that theory is good but go out and shoot the get the results you want!

cheers.cvg

2 comments:

  1. Und jetzt würde ichs nochmal mit ISO 100 (weniger Rauschen) und Blende um 11 herum probieren (durch 27 kommt die Beugungsunschärfe wieder dazu!) und eine dazu passende Belichtungszeit (die du sicher auch Freihand halten kannst).

    Dann sieht das Foto gleich noch besser aus ;-)

    ReplyDelete