Thursday, September 23, 2010

awaiting and dissatisfaction - but hang on!

Yesterday i got a new gadget for our DSLR - a Nissin Di622 external flash. I bought this because i expect to need it at a galleryshooting for a friend of mine!
When i arrived at home, the first thing was - of course - put the camera out of the bag and take a few shots. Unfortunately the pics didn't look like i expected then! I took AV mode(4.5@ISO400 - 18-55mm package lens) in a room with only one light switched on and the flash directing to subject but surprisingly the EOS suggested 2" shutter speed?! The result - obvious - was a blurred normal bright photo. Flash on TTL mode!
I switched to Tv selected 1/125sec same ISO and suddenly the aperture was 5.6  and it was a really good shot! I even tried the AUTO mode which resulted in 1/60sec, 5.6 and ISO400 and a quiet nice photo.

The best results where at Tv with 1/125 and Auto ISO bouncing the flash via the ceiling at the subject - So what was my mistake? I will give you an update on that - maybe my i take a look at one of these books from Scott Kelby to find out more!

I don't want to shoot people in Tv mode or even worse in AUTO?! What's next? using the LCD to take photos?

cheers
cvg

----
Update:
still testing the external flash and as far as i can tell you, I'm satisfied although I don't have a reference because it is my first one. But I still can't figure out my Av/Tv issue even the books in my bookshelf couldn't help me further...

1 comment:

  1. ok,

    i think i got it now! as a friend of mine told me, the flash is only used to "fill" the light and not the entire scene in creative modes! so in Av mode my subject would be light a bit -> this results in a long shutter speed!? Why? Because the camera behaves just like no flash is mounted. and i dialed 4.5 as Av in!
    In Tv mode i dialed the 1/125sec in and the camera took 5.6 aperture(because it can't go lower!) but it was blinkin' in the viewfinder. The flash was told to fire at high power to compensate picture, that would get to dark(if no flash was mounted) and therefore it was more or less luck to get a good shot! or at least the one i desired
    In AUTO Mode the camera tries to fill the entire scene and therefore the flash is fired at high power...


    i think i got it now :)


    cheers
    cvg

    ReplyDelete